About an entire week after getting sick, I can finally say I've taken at least 5 steps back from Death's door. That's heading in the right direction, right? I actually tried for my 1 Measly Mile on Thursday night at the track at the gym. Five laps in and my body went on strike and I wheezed my butt back into bed.
Friday, I didn't manage running a mile. However, the hubby came home with the great idea to go Downtown Detroit to see the Christmas tree lighting ceremony-never mind that I'm coughing and sniffling non-stop. Of course I thought is sounded like a great idea!
In fact it was. We had a great time! It was a little hard to finding parking so we ended up parking at the Renaissance Center parking garage and took the people mover. The old thing is in desperate need of repair-or just retirement. It squealed and moaned it's way around the city and there were moments I thought it might it might just fall off the rails and onto the street like a giant loaf of bread.
The closest stop was two blocks away from where the ceremony was going on, so we got in a nice walk and managed to squeeze through the crowd just in time for the countdown for the tree lighting. It was beautiful, with the giant tree, the ice skaters and the live music. Totally worth the scary ride on Detroit's outdated transportation system.
Afterwards, we walked to The Urban Bean Company over on Grand River.
It was a neat, retro bi-level coffee shop that BARELY took up much more room than a shoe box-but the space there was, was very smartly utilized. A friend of ours happened to be spinning records that night so we hung around for a little while before walking back to the Renaissance Center.
The trip back was the REAL adventure! After about a mile and a half of walking back through the city (and stopping for a cocktail or two along the way) we finally made it to the building. One must go through the RenCen itself, take the escalator-or elevator-up to the 3rd floor to walk directly to the parking garage we were parked in. We entered the building from a different door, which off our sense of direction. If you've ever been in the RenCen, you would know that there are multiple towers connected to each other in which all the walkways are circular. If you don't very well know where you're at to begin with and the signage happens to be very vague, you can be stuck in there, walking circles for quite some time! Quite honestly, I'd swear we may have actually walked another entire mile in circles just trying to find the parking garage!
I may not have ran my 1 Measly Mile on Friday night, but I damn well walked a couple!
Today, though.....today was my victory! I ran 2 Measly Miles! They may not have been all at once. They may have been interrupted so I could blow my nose discreetly (I was at the gym). They may have felt like the most difficult two miles I've ever ran-but I ran them! Victory is mine! I am back from the dead!!!!





No comments:
Post a Comment